2015-05-21

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With the Enemy

Last year when I decided to change my life the only way I knew how I could change it was to quit my job. It was a good job and a great set of people, but I did not feel that my life and career was going forward. I was in a standstill and in some ways I felt that when I was at Nokia I were happier.

I guess good things are never easy. Finding a job that would be good to me has not been easy. During the past year I've applied to 17 jobs, have talked to 8 recruitment consultants, and interviewed 5 times. I've applied to Technical Product Manager, Technical Program Manager, Team lead, Agile Coach, Release Cordinator, Developer Advocate, Group Manager, and to Developer positions. Some of these have been ideas from recruitment consultants and some are still on-going. As you can see from titles I'm not really sure of my path, but I definitely want to get forward from where I have already been. I'm willing to work hard and if necessary to relocate.

I just had my latest interview last week. I think it went well, and the job sounds like a good fit. I've also been in touch with a recruitment consultant that thinks he is going to have an interesting and well paying contractor gig for me really soon.

On the personal side of my life things were also looking good. I've been chatting with a nice lady I met during my last trip, and my plan was to go to see her this week. Just when I thought finally everything is going to work out great, things got complicated again due to a small accident. I broke my elbow last weekend while doing workout. It needed minor surgery, couple of weeks of wearing a cast, and couple of months to fully recover. This may mess with the jobs I was near to land, and destroyed my travel plans.

It is so disappointing when good things are so near that you can almost touch them, and then they are again somewhere far away and you are unsure if you can reach them.

No comments:

Post a Comment